Tuesday, November 27, 2012

You are your own person -

Recently it has come to my attention that my little nugget of fun seems to put himself down when trying to accomplish a task that takes him extra time.  The project is fussed over, large "Sighs" are heard from the next room, and finally - the resigning comment of "I just can't do this" (Or something similar) exits his mouth.  I pondered this for a long while.  Where does this attitude come from?  This "Feeling" like we have to do something the same way that everyone else does it?  This has always perplexed me - so today I wanted to address this issue.

My Dear D-Man - I don't know of how many ways to express this to you but I hope that one day it finally sinks in.  You are your own person and this means that you are going to have your own set of unique experiences and perspectives that no one else will have.

Too often have I heard, "I don't know how do do that." Or "I could never do that myself" - when in fact, you can.  It's all a matter of putting forth the effort - not just the desire to try, but genuine effort.  You might not get it right the first time, the second time, the third or the fourth time, but at SOME time you will accomplish that which you have set out to do.  Never, Never, Never give up.

For example, I have always been the type of person to rely on using recipes.  I don't seem to be able to cook anything by throwing a dash of this and a pinch of that into a pot to make a glorious meal.  I watch people on the Food Network in awe at their amazing abilities and think to myself that I wished I could do that.  What's funny is, I don't have to do it their way - I can still make a great dish, but for me to make it work I have to follow the recipe.

My recipe won't be the same, but the outcome of my dish will be just as delightful.  Your recipe on life will not be the same as anyone else's but it is your own, and as long as you make the most of what you have been given, you will come out with glorious experiences and insights that no one else will have.  As long as you try, and try again sometimes, you will continue to learn and grow and when you look back you will see where you used to be and where you have moved to.  You won't see it at first, but over time with trying you will notice the difference.  I hope that you never compare your own life journey with someone else's - because it doesn't have to be like their journey.  It's your very own gift to make the most of.

No comments:

Post a Comment